Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Reading . . . yes, a book.

It's happened friends . . . I know, I know . . . this is uncharacteristic of, well, a good portion of my family, but I've read a book. In an attempt to know what the crap my husband is talking about most of the time, I've decided to start reading to expand my vocabulary. Perhaps I'll even be able to have intellegent conversations someday . . . or learn to spell intelligent.

I've joined a book club made up of ladies (all my friends) that have been meeting for the past 4 years. This book club's reputation is rumored to be extremely strict on rules such as actually reading the book, so a lot of people are afraid to join. But once you realize that they just talk about the book for 10 minutes and then move on to other topics such as childbirth, breastfeeding, husbands, and our children's bowel movement frequency, it becomes not so intimidating.

We read The House of the Scorpion (Nancy Farmer) in January and I really enjoyed it! It took me over a month to read it and Elliot read it on a flight last week. I'm not what you would call a "good reader."

This month's book is The Goose Girl (Shannon Hale) and I'm a chapter in! I have one week to finish it, so everyone just leave me alone! (or tell me what happens, find the movie for me, or the CD's)

5 comments:

Anne Bennion said...

I am in love with The Goose Girl and the books that follow the Goose Girl (it's a series). Enjoy it! You don't have to be a brain surgeon to read it and it is simply fun!

Julie and Todd said...

So will you please read a bunch and just tell me which ones are the very best, easy to get into, don't take long to read, and don't require a dictionary as a companion? Bet I'm worse than you at reading!

Shellee said...

Whitney, I think that I am with you on the intelligent thing, I had no idea what some of the big words the other girls used meant. Chiasmic? I think I may have learned something.

The Earls said...

Yippee Whit! I'm glad you finally became a member of my sadly missed and favorite book club! Conversations are indeed a fun and interesting time. :)

Rebecca said...

Hey, Whitney, how are you doing? I sure love and miss you! Do you remember the Dora backpack Stella gave Rachel? It goes with us everywhere now. Thanks so much! And whenever Rachel sees me on the computer she asks if we can watch Stella cut her hair again. Stella is her favorite friend, she says. We love you!