Several months ago, my loving father-in-law mentioned to Elliot that there was a community production of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (one of my favorites) going on in Queen Creek and that it might be something I'd enjoy. Isn't that sweet of him?
Well, it was HORRIBLE! I tell this story now only because it has been many months now in which we can laugh about it. Seriously, I'd rather sit through watching my own high school musical again 50 times before I see that production again. I'm sorry if any of you know someone who was in it, but it was truly terrible! The guy playing Adam messed up the lines of his first song and the rest of it was so truly awkward that we wanted to die!
During the first break, Elliot leaned over to me and said (which may have saved the whole night because it made me giggle), "That guy messing up his lines is the worst thing that could have happened to ME!"
We sent Elliot's dad a bill for emotional trauma and travel expenses.
**********
About 10 years ago, I introduced Seven Brides for Seven Brothers to Elliot. What I didn't know then, is that you just don't talk up movies to Elliot. If you do, he'll hate it. He's stubborn like that. I wish I would have known that before I showed him ALL of my favorites. Also, you don't sing along while watching musicals. That's a no-no. My sister Lindsay didn't know this information when she watched it with us 10 years ago. She sang along through the whole thing.
Stella and I were watching it the other day and Elliot came in to sit with us. He actually really enjoys the musical. He even said, "It's too bad Lindsay ruined this movie for me for so long."
We love you Lindz.
**********
It's a little known fact that Elliot's petname for me is "Sugar." A while ago I called Stella "sweetie" which threw us into a big conversation about nicknames. I told her that Dad calls me "sugar" so now when she introduces herself to anyone she says, "My name is Stella, my mom's name is Sugar." No one knows what to say. Including me.
**********
Elliot and I have fostered somewhat of a competitive nature in our home. It's always a race to see who can get in their pajama's the fastest or brush their teeth first or kneel down for prayers first, etc. The other night when we raced to kneel down for prayer, Elliot raised the concern saying, "Is it bad that we're raising such a competitive child?" Almost simultaniously, Stella reached out to both of us and touched our knees with her hands and calmly said, "Win the contest."
**********
**********
We were at Costco the other day:
STELLA: "Mom, can we get a baby brother while we're here?"
MOM: "Sure, I think that aisle is over by the Cheerios."
(seriously though, if anyone knows of a Costco like that, let me know STAT)
**********
Elliot has been walking to church lately. On Easter he was wearing his new suit (which is super-sexy, by the way). When he was on his way home, some guy yelled across the street, "Hey man, that's a nice-a** suit!" Of course, we like to say what he really said.
**********
And speaking of swearing, or substitute swearing, Stella and I always play a rhyming game on our drive to preschool. We started rhyming with "cart" which always leads to "fart" and then Stella busted out with "SHART!" So I changed the word because I was laughing. Then we were rhyming with "hat" which leads to a million other words including Stella saying "SHAT!" I was laughing so hard that we couldn't move on to "sit."
19 comments:
what cute stories. That's great that you put them down. We had these friends in one of our past wards (many years ago) and their little girl called her dad "honey" because she would always here her mom call him that. I always thought that was so cute.
I forgot to mention that I could always relate to Millie in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! Dennis is the oldest of 7 boys too, and we were the first ones married. Let's just say that when we would go visit his family it was like that scene when Millie is serving the boys dinner and they are acting like pigs! It was nice when his brothers starting getting married!
Oh your comments are superb. Makes me want to hang out with you guys so we can join in on the laughter. Perhaps I smell a BBQ invite coming on...I'll call you when our lives calm down a tad (but who knows when that'll be...just got back in town yesterday and I am about to turn around next week for a wedding.
You have the cutest family! Stella is such a sweetie! That is sooo funny about the musical! Brennon made a rule that I can't sing during movies too! haha! Love you guys!
I don't care who you are, even if you look sexy in a nice a** suit, you have to admit that Lindsay IS the reason that musical is good!
and that musicals are made to be sung through. All the way through. No matter who tells you to shut it.
I have the biggest smile on my face from those awesome Stella Stories! And from the Uncomfortable Elliot Stories. His pain amuses me!
Ah. This post cracked me up! : )
Hey, Sugar, Sugar! You are right. When Stella told me her mommy's name was Sugar, Sugar, I didn't know what to say. All I did was laugh. She's so funny.
I loved ALL of your cute stories!! I was laughing out loud. :)
My kids want to know why mommy is laughing/crying.
I love Stella (and her vocabulary)... enough said.
It's a good thing you guys aren't coming to Wicked with us, Elliot would never speak to me again. I have a feeling that I will be singing through the whole thing.
I love this! Oh man we miss you guys!! Stella is my favorite even if she thinks I want to steal her clothes.
I loved reading all of your cute little stories! Too Fun! Stella is the cutest, most amusing child! I love hearing about all of the silly things she says and does!
P.s. Stanton added an "er" to the end of halloween, so I think we could join in on your naughty word game.
In my own defense, I sang SOOOO quietly through the movie with my hand over my mouth so that Elliot couldn't hear me. CAN HE JUST GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!!?
I was laughing so hard through this, and the next time you go to preschool, I want to come and play the rhyme game with you.
I LOVE THAT STELLA!!!
Sugar,
HILARIOUS. Can I come live with you guys for a while?
I have sat through some BAD musicals in my day (thank you, WHS), and seriously, it is NOT entertainment. I have to take a horse tranquilizer first or I will either (a) lose control of my bodily functions or (b) jump up, rend my clothing, and scream for mercy at the top of my lungs. HATE.
I love Stella. Love her.
Shat... Hehehehehe... Oh my word, that is AWESOME! I love your stories, Whitney. (Of course, you know I like them better unedited. Thank you for sharing the suit story with me on Sunday in all its glory, you SO made my day with that.)
Oh, wow, Stella is so stinkin funny. I mean, SO funny!
I love your stories, you funny, funny girl!
HEY WHITNEY AND ELLIOTT! It's the Smiths from like 4 years ago - remember us??!! I've been on blogs from the ward for the past hour - fun to catch up with everyone's lives. Love your blog - you guys are awesome.
I am laughing out loud as I read this. AWESOME!
SO FUNNY! My husband and I both laughed on that sugar one - so hilarious!! Sorry you're stinkin hot there - we're finally getting into some good weather here... I guess we have opposite good weather schedules ;)
Oh my goodness - I was laughing so hard. You crack me up. I almost had tears. You are either really funny, or I'm really tired. Or both!
I am still laughing.....
Post a Comment