Monday, May 09, 2011

The Cast

So Elliot's surgery to repair his ruptured Achilles tendon was on a Thursday. My podiatrist brother-in-law says that he should have taken 10 days off of work and yet my husband decided to go back to work on Monday. He only lasted 30 minutes before he called me to come pick him back up.

He did go to work the rest of the week though and by Wednesday he had already accidentally put weight on his foot. PAINFUL! He had gone to a restaurant with clients and lost his balance going up a step and reflexively put his foot down. We were both so worried that he had re-injured it, but the doctor didn't seem worried. It still hurt though.

Dr. Hansen was also impressed with how very little swelling Elliot has had. He took out the stitches last Monday.


Elliot has had his cast for a week now. Apparently they don't do white casts anymore, so he chose green. He was also planning on NOT having anyone sign it, but I squashed that idea with a text or two to some friends who showed up after FHE for a little signing party.

It doesn't really look like it, but his toes are pointed down a little bit. I thought it would be more ballerina-like, but not so. The plan is that this green cast will be on for 2 weeks, they'll take it off, check it out, and cast it again for another 10+ days. We're hoping to get it off before we go to the beach at the end of the month, otherwise Elliot refuses to go. He should be in a walking boot for a few more weeks after that and doing physical therapy.

In other news, Elliot's brother Adam BROKE HIS ARM (both bones . . . ow) a week after Elliot's injury. Accident prone boys anyway. The Dibble family apparently became superstitious and Grandma Dibble cleared the aisles of bubble wrap for Bethany the next week. No more injuries to report.

Elliot finally got to see his surgery pictures which were even more awesome the second time around. Dr. Hansen said he'd email them, but hasn't yet. You better believe they'll end up here, so BEWARE you fainters. They are incredible.

Elliot is totally annoyed by the cast and the muscle cramping, but is getting around better and using crutches more since someone insulted his manhood by telling him that only people age 55+ and women without upper body strength use the roller cart. Mind your business. You should see him move on that thing. He's left skid marks on the pavement with that apparatus. I prefer those kinds of skid marks to the other kind.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I think my bishopric member who tore his achilles must have run into Elliot at a restaurant. I was talking to him yesterday and he said he ran into someone who did the same thing playing church basketball...can't be that small of a world, right?

Annie said...

Poor guys! I hope they both recover soon!

Steve and Steph said...

whitney-you crack me up!!! I'm glad he's on the mend! You're preggo pics are awesome! I am SO glad you repremaneded someone for saying you're having twins, as someone who also receives those comments while pregnant, I love that and secretly wish to be so bold the next time around.