Friday, May 31, 2013

Quentin"s Birth: The Rest of the Story

I always shower as fast as I can after getting out of the water so that I can hurry back to my baby. Of course I want Daddy to have some time holding him, but I need that little guy in my arms! I'm so happy that Daddy and I get to pass our babies back and forth for a long time before anyone else even holds them.

Here is my birth team (minus Elliot because he's taking the picture). Alison is my midwife and I love her, Catelyn is her apprentice (and the one who inspired me to have a homebirth), and Kat is also her apprentice (also, like 18-years-old). She was also present at Malcolm's birth 19 months ago. I love them all. They were exactly what I needed on my team. They stay out of my business until I need them and then they help my little ones come into the world! I trust them completely.

I had to paint that shirt on myself because I forgot to prepare after birth clothes and didn't feel like directing anyone to where they might find some.

I thought it was a joke when they weighed Malcolm like this, but this is how they do it! We had a whopping 9 pound 5 ounce baby! That's almost 2 pounds heavier than my other 2 babies! He was 21 inches long and was born at exactly 2:00 a.m. on Good Friday, March 29, 2013. He's perfect.

So last time they gave us about 2 hours with each other and our new little sweet baby before they came back to do the newborn check. They were usually cleaning up during that time. I made a bad choice in decided to have everything set up in our room. We should have done it somewhere else so that the the clean up could have happened while we were cuddling our new baby. Instead, they left us alone and then came in just an hour after he was born and said that they got another call from another mother in labor that they needed to go to. I told them that they could do the newborn check later, but they insisted on checking everything before they left. However, they did leave the rest of the gross clean up to Elliot. They emptied the pool because they needed to take it with them, but they left everything else to my poor husband.

Honestly, I didn't even notice he was cleaning stuff up for however long he was cleaning up because I was cuddling and feeding and loving my little guy. After Elliot was done cleaning up, we put our sweet little baby between us on the bed and we all fell asleep. It had to have been at least 4 or 5 in the morning. We were exhausted and knew that our other 2 children would be coming to meet their new little brother in just a few short hours, so we needed to get some sleep!

We also needed to name our baby. Of course, we were having another hard time deciding agreeing on a name for him. So Elliot said, "What's his name? We need to call some people." So, as per usual, I got my way and named him Quentin McAllister Dibble. :)

Thankfully Grandma let us sleep in and Quentin slept for several hours before she brought Stella and Malcolm home. They are in love.

1 comment:

sara said...

Thinking of you as you bring miss Celia into the world tonight! I thought this Tin story would be a fun read :)