Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Quentin's Pre-Birth Story

Funny story. At least I think it is. So you know how it took us almost 5 years to have Stella? Yeah, and then it took us another 7 years to have Malcolm. Well, one Sunday while I was sitting in Relief Society holding my 9-month-old baby, I had this overwhelming feeling that Elliot and I needed to do whatever it took to have another baby (i.e. fertility, blah, blah). Elliot was still the bishop of our Ward at that time and so when I approached him right after church (his busiest time) and said, "Elliot, we need to have another baby," his response was, "Well, I'm kind of busy right now." I wonder what would have happened if he wasn't so busy after church. Hum. Is that sacrilegious?

Fast-forward another month on a rather warm July Saturday morning (the day before Elliot was released as bishop of our Ward) as I was doing my weekly chores in the bathroom when I found a leftover pregnancy test from before Malcolm was discovered. I decided to take it even though I was 2-3 days early. The faintest of faint lines appeared in the right places. I was so excited. I was also a little bit in shock. Only a little bit because I remembered that feeling I had in RS, but also a lot shocked because I didn't think I would get pregnant so quickly. And nervous because of our previous experiences with miscarriage so early on. This was the first pregnancy that I kept absolutely no record of when it may have happened. It's weird how very frustrating that was because I've always been so good about that. I had no idea when I might be due. Weird, but it was frustrating.

Elliot was on his man-date with Uncle Barry (lasting a little longer than usual because he was being called as bishop of our Ward the next day . . . hahaha), so I called and left a message for Elliot to see when he was coming home. When he did finally make it home, I tried several approaches to get him to go into the bathroom to check out our news. After he finally caught on, he said, "No way. Does this mean we have to use condoms?" And that's why I think it's funny.

So Dibble Baby #3 was due to join our family in March 2013 (pick a date, any date . . . because there were lots of different due dates, 10th, 13th, 15th . . . I chose the 26th).

(End of August Lindsay was about 28 weeks and I was about 10 weeks)

P.S. Our babies come when they are supposed to. We've learned that we have absolutely no control over when that may happen, but we are sure grateful for our sweet babies and their perfect timing in our lives.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Whit, I love you! You and your babies, and your funny stories!