Thursday, February 07, 2008

Thumb Sucker

Stella has sucked her thumb since she was 4 months old. I thought it was cute at first and somehow thought that it was better than a pacifier, but I’m wrong. It’s already moved some of her teeth, and her thumbnail is flat and flaky and calloused. I found a new sore on her thumb on Sunday and told her that if she didn’t stop sucking her thumb that “it would turn green and slimy and fall off and it would hurt really bad.” She started crying. I tend to go a little overboard when I’m trying to get my point across.

So this week Stella has been waking up early (most likely with her thumb in her mouth) and FREAKING OUT because she thinks her thumb is going to fall off. Let’s face it friends, with her mother’s family dental history, there is no way that Stella is avoiding the absolute necessity of orthodontia as a teenager. So my question is simply this: should I just let her suck her thumb or should we just accept what she's chosen for her thumb replacement?

10 comments:

THE BANGARTS said...

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

OurFamily said...

Hey there! I found your blog off Lynnae's. That picture is so funny!

Brittni Schroeder Photography said...

LOL! Love that little Stella!

Anonymous said...

That is too funny!! I guess one good thing about her sucking her toe is that she can't do it in public because she has shoes on. I had two nieces that both sucked their thumbs and they did not stop until they were teenagers.

CJ said...

I can think of worse things than orthodontia. We've paid for 4 sets and are headed for the 5th. Lee and I both had them as adults, and you know Andrew and Brittany, Mark has 3 more teeth to lose before he is ready. I'm not so sure about the toe Stella!

Shellee said...

I have accepted the fact that all of my children will need braces, and if it turns out that they don't then we can apply that money towards their mission funds...
Don't feel so bad about going overboard when getting your point across, I did it last night. Aaron dropped Hayden and I told him that Hayden could get a concussion, we could put him to bed and he could die. So, Aaron wouldn't let Hayden go to sleep last night. You aren't alone...

The Crazy Holdens said...

When I see Paige suck her thumb I think of Stella. Maybe you should have told her tounge would fall off if she kept sucking her thumb or anything else.

The Earls said...

I never laughed so hard. I guess she doesn't care if her toe turns green, slimy and falls off. I've wondered the same about Dono. He and Elliott both are thumb suckers (as I was) and Dono's teeth have moved too. I just figure that those teeth will fall out eventually and it's the permanent ones to worry about. Hopefully by then the sucking will have stopped. I wouldn't worry too much.

Sarah said...

No advice here..we just baptized our thumb sucker. I have tried EVERYTHING. I am hoping he'll break his arm and have his hand cast....I've heard that works.....

Fosburgh Family said...

TOOOOO funny I loved this. She is so full of excitement, never a dull moment!