Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Songs

I just realized as I was singing "You Are My Sunshine" to Stella tonight that I may have been really morbid as a child. I was sure that in the second verse, the person killed himself. He hung his head and cried. Dead. With a rope.

On a happier note, this reminds me of one of my friends who was totally confused with the words in the hymn "Love One Another." He wondered for a really long time just what a "shalmeno" was (". . . by this shall men know . . ."). It still makes me giggle.

7 comments:

Myra said...

Same with ring around the roses. Morbid.

Anonymous said...

Then there's the ever favorite "I Am a Child of God" with "parents kind of weird."

Shellee said...

Ring around the roses was morbid, I agree with My. It's all about the Black Plague.

I have always wondered what a "shalmeno" was until I was probably in junior high and finally read the words. There are a few primary songs that are confusing, so I don't see the problem with letting the kids "go with it".

Steve and Steph said...

My little sister used to sing, "I am a child of God and he has LEFT me here..." I can't wait to hear Cooper's rendition of songs in the near future.

Kimmie said...

SHALMENO...yes! I totally remember thinking it was that too! I figured I'd find out what it was when I was older and more spiritual.

Malori and Jon Saline said...

Isn't interesting how any morbid songs or rhymes we sing to our kids - it's funny when you start learning the stories behind them.......
You know that primary song that goes "The golden plates lay hidden, deep in the mountain side"
Well, my dad used to think that it ended with the lyrics, "Until God found one faithful with whom he could gun fight" -- Gun fight instead of confide!! funny!!
I think we all have songs like that!

Laurie said...

LOL! Seriously, Whitney, I LOVE YOU! "He hung his head and cried. Dead. With a rope." Holy crap, that's funny... I don't care who you are! Seriously, you make me laugh out loud - I love it!

And fyi, I was one of the kids that thought "shalmeno" was a word. I distinctly remember a Sunday when I was about 10 and I looked at the hymn during Sac Mtg and had the realization that I'd been running 3 words together to make up a fake word for years.

My favorite song sung wrong? My cousin Julie (we were in our 20's when this came out, btw) used to sing Forever In Blue Jeans (any Neil Diamond fans in the house will appreciate this) as "Reverend Blue Jeans". (Reverend Blue Jeans is ESPECIALLY sick & wrong when you know the lyrics to the song "maybe tonight, you and I all alone by the fire - nothing around but the sound of my heart and your sighs". Uhm... must be some kind o' reverend, eh?

I do love songs sung wrong... they make me laugh out loud. :-)