But for those of you who want the little details, this is for you (but mostly for me because I like details). I'm afraid that reading this might actually take longer than Malcolm's birth did, but oh well, here we go . . .
I was comforted this specific morning by a scripture I read in 1 Corinthians 2:5. So many people were concerned that I was 2 weeks overdue and continually told me (and my husband) that I was making the wrong decisions. I understood the concern, but I trusted the Spirit more.
In talking to Elliot this morning and planning our week, we talked about Alison possibly breaking my water to start labor. She had already stripped my membranes the week before without any changes, but I knew that breaking my water was a definite labor starter.
9:00 a.m. - I made an appointment with my friend's aunt who is a reflexologist. She was kind enough to come to my home, knowing that if I happened to go into labor, that I'd want to be at home. I'm fairly certain that I fell asleep and who knows what kind of weird sleeping noises I make. It wouldn't be the end of the weird noises of the day. She said that she has pretty good results with women and putting them into labor and was excited either way just to have my feet rubbed.
I had promised a loving and concerned family member at the beginning of my mission for a natural birth that I would include my husband in my decisions. I knew that besides getting increasingly impatient with my lack of labor, people felt it necessary to share birth horror stories with Elliot. This naturally made him worry. In the end, he trusted my decisions, which I appreciate. However, I knew that with his 2 extra weeks of incubation, by this time our baby would be healthy and would be on his way soon anyway.
Alison was in constant contact with me through our regular appointments and texts. Seriously, I never got any texts from my OB. One more reason to have a midwife. Alison texted me to see how I was feeling that morning. I told her about the reflexology and how my pressure waves hadn't increased or decreased at all, but that I got a little nap. I told her that Elliot and I had discussed maybe breaking my water and instantly she responded immediately with, "OK, what time do you want me to come over?" Apparently she was ready to help me birth my baby as well. So we scheduled to break my water around 2:00 p.m. and I was instructed to take a nap, eat a good lunch, and drink a lot of water.
3:15 p.m. - I got a call from Stella who was on the verge of tears. She always sounds so much younger when I'm talking to her on the phone. Grandma told her that I was going to have the baby and she may have gotten a little nervous (or dramatic as is natural for her). She said, "Mom, remember how you told me that we can have tears that are happy tears? Well, I think that's what I'm going to do now."
We decided that since Alison wasn't there yet, that we wanted Stella to come back home to see us and see that everything was as it should be before she went to Grandma's for the night. We cuddled for a little bit and tried to reassure her that next time she came home, she could hold her brother!I think she was excited about the whole thing, but got nervous again when we walked her out to the car as Alison arrived. Alison gave her a hug and also tried to reassure her, but Stella still gave me at least 3 more hugs and kisses before Grandma drove away with our big girl.
At the beginning of our plan for a home birth, I had discussed with Stella what we were going to do and she even watched some documentaries with me and some home births online. She was fascinated and so excited that we didn't have to go to the hospital. Elliot and I had contemplated allowing Stella to be present during the birth, but we decided that I needed Elliot's full attention and with Stella there, I wouldn't get it. Also, it turns out that I'm sure she would have been more than a little traumatized by the noises I'd be making later that evening.
3:45 p.m. - Alison and her assistants Althea and Kat arrived and brought in their luggage full of birthing supplies. I changed my clothes and finished my preparations for one of the most amazing nights of my life.
(stay tuned for Part II of Malcolm's Birth Story . . . or don't stay tuned if pictures of me in labor might make you uncomfortable . . . no worries, they're blog appropriate . . . I didn't get all Ricki Lake on anybody)
7 comments:
yes! details please! lots of details! I loved reading this and I can't wait to hear the rest. I love the pictures too. They are awesome:)
I want/need more details!
And I love those pictures. They are beyond precious. You were so super cute pregnant. I wish I could have seen you at 42 weeks. I do plan on visiting you when I come at Thanksgiving and holding Mr. Malcolm.
I'm excited for the rest of the story!! Unfortunately, Blake and I can't come for thanksgiving :( I have school obligations and Blake only gets two days off of work. We need to schedule a trip after I graduate! What are you doing Thanksgiving 2013? :)
BRING ON THE STORY!
You know that I'm a story-loving fool!
Also, the pictures... they make me cry. (True story, I totally teared up at the pic of you and Elliot on your backs. Why, I'm not exactly sure (it's not like I'm a hormonal, pregnant person who can be excused for being overly emotional), but that was beautiful to me.)
I NEED DETAILS!!!! And I love pictures! Thanks for not getting all Ricki Lake on us. That made me laugh!!!
Poor you and Elliot I can't imagine how bombarded you must have felt. Next time be bold but gentle before they start off on "their" stories. Something like... We really appreciate your concern and love for us. However we have chosen not to listen to anyone else's birth stories (assuming they are negative ones) because that is "their" birth and this is OURS. I am sure you guys could pick better phrasing but there really is no reason that you should HAVE TO listen to other people's negativity.
People really want the best for the the ones they love but geez it's not like you were doing drugs, drinking while pregnant, etc., people should just keep their opinions to themselves, it's not birth of their baby! Just my thoughts.... ;)
MORE, Whit!!! :) Loved it so far!
Such beautiful pictures!!!!!(: Can't wait for the rest of the birth story to go along with it! Love that baby Malcolm!!!
Post a Comment