(originally posted 08/30/2009)
February 8 - I had my second interview at Emergency Chiropractic at 8:30 with Celia the Corporate Administrator. She was a 4'11", absolutely beautiful, well-dressed woman with a medically enhanced chest area and she was VERY SCARY! I didn't get the same welcome from her that I did from the rest of the staff the week before. She was completely serious and my confidence took a plunge when she intimidated me.
Thankfully, she still called me later that afternoon and offered me the receptionist job and I was to start the next day.
I had lunch with some friends from college (Debbie Towne & Alyssa Meryhew). We went to Sweet Tomatoes and of course, brought up the topic of guys in my ward. The question was asked if there were any tall guys (both Debbie & Alyssa are fairly tall women) and the only one I could think of was Elliot. I hadn't really noticed anyone else. So I told them about Elliot, having to finally admit vocally for the first time that I liked him and make my claim to him even though I was only 5'5" and could certainly find a shorter man. I realized that my sister/roommate Natalie and I hadn't yet developed our girlfriend relationship yet, so I hadn't discussed any Elliot topics with her. It was therapeutic to vocalize some of my feelings with Debbie and Alyssa.
Today was the start of Valentine's Week. Our ward did a secret Valentine match-up and I really hoped that Elliot got matched with me. Today I got a shoe. I know, sounds gross doesn't it. I guess it was to be able to match you to your Valentine at the end of the week at the Valentine's Dance. Not sure.
In 1999, there was a huge obsession with Swing dancing. Elliot was still on his mission when everyone was re-learning the dance, so he never got into it. However, he is a huge fan of Big Band music. This FHE activity was especially exciting for him because there was a real band playing the music for the night. My parents taught me how to swing dance when I was younger, but they were doing crazy new things these days so I couldn't quite keep up.
I danced with a few people (can't remember who), and then the last song was "Moonlight Serenade." I hadn't danced a few songs and was sitting in a group of chairs off of the dance floor. Suddenly the sea of dancers parted as I saw Elliot appear in the midst of the dance floor. He quickly walked straight to me to ask me to dance. I liked to see him moving so quickly towards me as if someone else was going to swoop me up before he could get there. I, of course, accepted, and he led me to the dance floor.
Oh, dancing. He pulled me close. I don't know what it is about guys who think they can just pull you that close to dance when they aren't even dating you yet. I have a tendency to encourage the closeness and made no effort whatsoever to move away from Elliot. I was smitten. I was in deep smit.
A little side note: "Moonlight Serenade" would become OUR SONG. I didn't even remember (or know at the time) what song it was until Elliot reminded me much, much later in our dating. I thought it was so sweet that he was the one that remembered. Also, I found out much later that Elliot knew someone else was on his way over to ask me to dance, hence the quick acting on Elliot's part. Also, Elliot was waiting for that song specifically to dance with me.
In review of the evening, I was torn between thinking that Elliot's quick swooping on the last dance was a sign of interest or if he just realized that I hadn't been dancing for the last few songs. Either way, the close dancing was still fresh on my skin and kept my mind agreeably engaged for the rest of the evening.
8 comments:
Hey, I just looked on wikipedia for the spatula question, very interesting! Also look up "scraper".
I love that Moonlight Serenade is your song. I always sing that one to Erik if he starts dancing with me.
Man, these stories are so fun!! I wish I could remember so much or had so much written somewhere about Derrick and I. No such luck!
Re: the spatula controversy. We got into a discussion about this at Girls' Camp one summer. The better cooks said "A" was a pancake turner.
Technically, "B" is a rubber scraper.
A real spatula is what you spread frosting with, so the answer to your query, dearie, is neither.
Do we get to find out who's shoe it was? I love your dating history. So much fun.
Your so cute! I love that you were in "deep smit."
I remember the 1999 fascination with swing dancing. I dug that trend! I always thought the rubber one, and Robert thought the other thing, so owe think BOTH! Also, I love the picture of you guys at the Renaissance Festival with your faces behind the wooden picture thing. That's one of my favorite things to do is get my picture behind those kinds of things!
ROFL...deep smit! You slay me!
And can I just say SWOOON!!! Your song is moonlight serenade...to quote another song of the era, Isn't it romantic...
Post a Comment