We went to the Grand Canyon with Mike and Mari Ashby a few weeks ago. It was totally fun . . . at least we had fun! I hope they still want to be friends after spending so much time with us!
We drove to Flagstaff on Friday night, ate at Black Bart's -- a restaurant that employs NAU Music students . . . yes, they sing . . . well, some of them did -- and then we spent the night at a hotel so we could get a good start on the morning. I'm embarrassed that Stella's pants are so short. I haven't been prepared for colder weather yet this year, and she's out-grown all of her pants!
The Ashby's (both raised in Arizona) have never seen the Grand Canyon, so we were happy to be their tour guides. After their first glance at the giant hole in the ground, a little tarantula visited us . . . Stella was not afraid! Good thing we had her strapped to a monkey back-pack leash so she wouldn't join my Mother's uncle in the canyon. Yes, I have a relative that fell to his death at the Grand Canyon. I'd always heard the story told that they were taking a picture and he fell to a ledge, stood up and dusted himself off, and then fell again to his death. But in the book it says this:
"Joseph Fielding Smith, Jr. Age 61 (August 22, 1974) - Cape Royal Overlook, North Rim - Smith attempted to jump from a ledge on the rim to a dirt slope about five feet lower. He lost his balance and slipped into a free-fall of 35 feet."
The store owner told me that he estimated that about 20 people fall in the Grand Canyon per year. Just a few weeks before we came, a 4-year-old had fallen, hence the absolute need for the monkey back-pack, which Stella loved (thanks Lynnae).
It was a little windy, we saw the sights, ate some ice cream, and looked over some ledges. On our way out of the park, we encountered a lot of wildlife both on the trail and along side the road (deer and elk).
We were all tired, but Elliot managed to get out and visit another Mary Jane Coulter building before we headed home. Stella passed out shortly after we left. Thanks for the fun weekend Ashbys!
I get a little camera-happy, so here is about half of the pictures that I took:

8 comments:
Looks like a fun trip! I haven't been to the Grand Canyon in forever, makes me want to take a trip too.
I sure love Stella's cheesy smile!
Wow! What a fun trip! I'm pretty frightened of the Grand Canyon; probably because of that crazy story of your relative.
You're braver that I am, I wouldn't take my kids there. Great pictures! I haven't been there in years, Hey Liz, wanna go?
I've never been but someday i want to go. Stella is way too cute.
Fun trip! Stella is so cute. Love the pants!
Hey Dibble's, Kathlyn here. I just wanted to drop in and say hello. I can't believe how big Stella is getting. She is beautiful, just like her mom!
Lee would say that leashes on kids are child abuse. NOT ME! I believe they are essential in many instances and the Grand Canyon would be one of them. You wouldn't want to contribute to the family legacy! Looks like you all had a grand time.
Post a Comment