Friday, April 18, 2008

Keep your eyes on the horizon . . .

The author of my favorite book "These Is My Words" was at the Tempe Public Library yesterday afternoon for a book signing, so Elliot and I made a date of it (I love early dates). She was AWESOME! The whole dress and hat thing was a little weird, but she is such a great story-teller and it was so nice to hear how her books came about and all of the changes she had to make to them. The story of Sarah Prine (Nancy's great-great grandmother) started as she read journal entries of her own great-great uncle Alvin Prine, who was Sarah Prine's brother. There were never any journal entries from Sarah, but she was intrigued by the thought of what her story would have been. Long story short (too late), Nancy E. Turner was taking a writing class and ended up writing a short story (first chapter of the book), won 1st runner-up in a competition, wrote the rest of the book, and after going through almost EVERY publisher known to man, ended up publishing.

My mother-in-law wanted me to ask her who she would choose to play Jack Elliot if the book was made into a movie, but someone else asked it. So I asked her if she knew how to shoot a rifle . . . and she does. She said her Grandfather took her out to learn how to shoot when she was 11-years-old. After blowing up her first 2 targets, he threw up his hands, proclaimed "This is no fun!" and walked into the house to smoke his cigar.

So this is Nancy's pick to play Sarah and Jack in her movie, which I think is WAY off:
Ashley Judd
Brendan Fraser







I can't think of anyone for Sarah yet, but these are my two picks for Jack:
Cameron Bancroft (that chizzled jaw . . yum) and Michael Schoeffling (I can't find a picture) from the movie "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken" (although I think he's almost 50 years old now . . . probably still beautiful!)

She said that she's had several producers call and ask for her book, which she happily sends them. She's sent it to Ron Howard, Tom Selleck, Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, and Mel Gibson who actually asked for 5 copies of each book and then went into rehab the next day. I would LOVE to see this book turn into a movie so I could watch it daily. Thanks for the great date Sweetie!

3 comments:

Kyle said...

First off, I am dying to read this book..I have heard nothing but great things.
Second, Michael Schoeffling is also JAKE RYAN from 16 candles...love him! I haven't read the book but I can' almost definetly say that I agree with your casting. He is old and not an actor anymore so I don't think it will happen but oh well!

***LIZ*** said...

Yeah, the get up she is wearing is a little weird but I am glad that she was still entertaining. I also agree, not the actors I would pick to play those parts... but I love those characters so much I could chose anyone and feel good about it.

THE BANGARTS said...

Brendan Fraser????!!! NNNOOOOOOO!!! Encino Man can't be Jack Elliott!!! There is no carisma about Brendan Fraser. Just a lot of grunting and pounding of the chest. And Ashley Judd bugs the crap out of me.