Here's the deal. I am infertile. My actual diagnosis is ". . . bouts of infertility," but same same. I have conceived 3 times. I have one daughter. Below is an article about Infertility Etiquette. Some of it applies to me, some of it does not. I try to be fairly approachable and do not mind talking about it, so if you have questions about me or this subject, please ask me . . . don't ask my friends or relatives.
(Click on the title to read the whole article. I've inserted a few of my own comments to ease any anxiety you may have about my feelings on the subject.)
Infertility Etiquette
By Vita Alligood
Chances are, you know someone who is struggling with infertility. More than five million people of childbearing age in the United States experience infertility. Yet, as a society, we are woefully uninformed about how to best provide emotional support for our loved ones during this painful time.
Reaching a resolution [to infertility] can take years, so your infertile loved ones need your emotional support during this journey. Most people don't know what to say, so they wind up saying the wrong thing, which only makes the journey so much harder for their loved ones. Knowing what not to say is half of the battle to providing support.
-Don't Tell Them to Relax
Relaxation itself does not cure medical infertility.
(though I would LOVE to go on a cruise)
- Don't Minimize the Problem
(I can add the "just enjoy the child you have" comment under this subtitle . . . don't say it . . . it doesn't help.)
- Don't Say There Are Worse Things That Could Happen
- Don't Say They Aren't Meant to Be Parents
- Don't Ask Why They Aren't Trying IVF
- Don't Offer Unsolicited Opinions If They Are Trying IVF
- Don't Play Doctor
There a numerous reasons that a couple may not be able to conceive.
(telling me about "so and so who did this and that" only reminds me that nothing is working for me . . . smiling and nodding is a perfectly acceptable response.)
- Don't Be Crude
It is appalling that I even have to include this paragraph, but some of you need to hear this-Don't make crude jokes about your friend's vulnerable position. Crude comments like "I'll donate the sperm" or "Make sure the doctor uses your sperm for the insemination" are not funny, and they only irritate your friends.
(I'll throw this one in there because I've heard it as well . . . "Is he shooting blanks?" . . . don't say it, I'll cut your tongue out.)
- Don't Complain About Your Pregnancy
Just being around you is painful for your infertile friends. Seeing your belly grow is a constant reminder of what your infertile friend cannot have. You have every right to vent about the discomforts to any one else in your life, but don't put your infertile friend in the position of comforting you. Your infertile friend would give anything to experience the discomforts you are enduring because those discomforts come from a baby growing inside of you.
(here's me again . . . I will ALWAYS hold your baby . . . when I want to give your baby back, I'll give it back . . . you never have to worry or say sorry about me holding your baby for so long . . . ever!)
- Don't Treat Them Like They Are Ignorant
(if they don't have children yet)
- Don't Gossip About Your Friend's Condition
Regardless of why you are sharing this information with someone else, it hurts and embarrasses your friend to find out that Madge the bank teller knows what your husband's sperm count is and when your next period is expected. Infertility is something that should be kept as private as your friend wants to keep it. Respect your friend's privacy, and don't share any information that your friend hasn't authorized.
- Don't Push Adoption (Yet)
You do, indeed, need to grieve [the loss of "your" baby] before you are ready to start the adoption process.
(I actually have had fantasies about someone knocking on my door and leaving their baby for me. I am SUPER excited to LOVE someone elses child!)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
So, what can you say to your infertile friends? Unless you say "I am giving you this baby," there is nothing you can say that will erase their pain. So, take that pressure off of yourself. It isn't your job to erase their pain, but there is a lot you can do to lesson the load. Here are a few ideas.
-Let Them Know That You Care
-Remember Them on Mother's Day
-Support Their Decision to Stop Treatments
(I cannot even tell you what a relief it was to hear the words "there is nothing else I can do for you" from my doctor. WE ARE ADOPTING . . . please pray for our family.)
19 comments:
I am so happy about that last sentence there! I will pray that the adoption process goes quickly so you can get your cute baby, and I can help throw you the best baby shower ever!!!!
Amen, Kimmie. Thanks for the article, Whit. It was a good teaching tool. And good luck with the adoption. I hope you get your "baby Riley" soon (and you really should name her Riley because it is such a cute name and makes cute babies). We'll pray for you!
I love you and will be praying for you, Whitney.
Thanks for the article, I won't go into the things people said to me while Decker was alive, and a few things people said to me when he died. Not pretty.
Again, I love you!
Dawn
You got the one sentence that took away that horrid decision to/or not to continue with treatment, I am kind of hoping for the same. I am going in for exploritory surgery on the 25th.
I totally agree with the complaining about pregnany thing. I loved being pregnant because I understood what a blessing/miracle having a baby truly is. It was worth the "cankles".
I think that adoption is the most wonderful thing in the world. My mother has always told me that I was meant to be with her and that I just came on a different bus (AND I avoided her "crazy" gene! Lucky Me!)
Thanks for the reminder though. We'll be praying for you guys!
Thank you for posting this:)I know many couples having fertility issues, and it's hard to know what to say and how to be supportive. I am excited for your family to adopt. We will definately keep you in our prayers.
I am so happy for your decision to adopt it is such a wonderful thing! I'll have you both in my thoughts and prayers!!!
Thank you for this article. One of my friends is having a hard time getting pregnant (she's been trying for 3 years) and I always wonder what I should and shouldn't say. It was nice to hear your reactions to some of the etiquette.
I'm so excited that you are adopting! I cannot wait to hear news of another little Dibble!
I will be praying for you and hope your baby comes super fast! :)
From one couple struggling with fertility issues to another. We love you guys! Adoption is awesome. I hope your family is blessed soon! We will be praying for you.
I LOVED THIS! Thank you so much for posting it. I always want to be supportive and not say the wrong thing so I really love this! Good luck with everything...you know you are in our prayers! Come over again...
That was a great article Whitney. One of my older sisters had a similar situation...they had one daughter and weren't able to have any more kids, but when their daughter was 5 they were blessed with a son through adoption. So hopefully by the time Stella turns 5 your family will be blessed the same way! I truly hope so!!
Good luck, I'm praying for you too!
thanks for the great article--sometimes we are just clueless as to what to say--unless you have been through that trial yourself...i appreciate you giving us an insight into your life and we can only hope that we can all become more sensitive because of it. i hope the adoption route goes smooth and fast....
Leigh Ann
Great post! Keep us updated on your adoption process!
Thanks for the article. I also never know what to say. We will pray for your adoption.
AMEN!!!!! Can I just add one more to the list please.......DON'T say "you know what's going to happen...you're going to put your adoption papers in and then you'll find out you're pregnant!" I swear if one more person said that to me I would have beat the hell out of them! Great Article and a must for everyone to read.
i adore you and admire you. i hope adoption happens quickly for you and that you get your baby. you two are beyond wonderful parents and its obvious stella was meant to be and older sister!
xo
I've always had 2 favoite things people would say to me. Nalani beat me to my first one. My other favorite one was.."I know exactly what you're going through. We've been trying for a couple of months now." Well, when you hit the 3 year mark come back and tell me again you know EXACTLY how I feel.
Thank you so much for the article and your comments. We love you and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
Whitney... I don't know how I've missed this post until now... but I love it! And I love you! Of course your family is in my prayers... You're the best! :-)
Post a Comment