Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Getaway

Elliot and I were able to spend 3 days in Winslow, Arizona to celebrate our anniversary (thanks for watching Stella Grandma & Grandpa). Our favorite little place to stay is called La Posada. It's an old Fred Harvey hotel that was built in 1929 along the Santa Fe railroad. It was place where lots of famous people stayed when railroad was the prominent way to travel. This was our third visit and it just keeps getting better!

We drove to Snowflake on Friday morning to do a temple session at the Snowflake Temple. We ate lunch at a little craft cafe. We played checkers while we waited for our food until Elliot threw a tantrum and quit because he thought I was cheating.

One thing we absolutely LOVE about La Posada is that it's so relaxing! When I tell people that we go to sit around and watch the trains go by, they think we're totally boring. We totally monopolized this swing all afternoon while Elliot wrote in his journal, watched the trains go by, and I took a little nap. We deemed the swing ours because our butts were in it for over 5 hours during the weekend.

If it's an airplane or a train, Elliot loves it. After our delicious (and over-priced) dinner in the world famous Turquoise Room restaurant, we went back to our swing each night to freeze our rears off and watch a few more trains.

The original hotel was only open for less than 30 years because of the depression. It was converted into an office building for the railroad office and all of it's unique designs were covered by the horrific 80's acoustic ceilings. The furniture was also sold, but most of it has been returned. We liked this chair that converts into a table. I think I'll build Elliot one.

The only reason we came back home was because we missed our sweet Stella! Here are a few of the other pictures I took while we were there.

Elliot's pouty look . . . he looked the same after he threw the tantrum over the checkers game.

7 comments:

The Earls said...

That looks like a really nice place. Glad you had a fun and relaxing time. Happy Anniversary!

Shellee said...

What a beautiful place. Elliot is not so different from anyone in our home. We love all planes and trains. We stop to watch trains all the time and of course sit on the hill in front of our home and watch the planes come in.
I love the pictures that you took and I especially love the chair/table!
The arbor behind the Snowflake Temple is one of our favorite places to be.
Happy Anniversary!

lisa said...

That place looks so cool and relaxing. I would love to go visit! I'm glad you two were able to have a little get-away! :)

Bethany Dibble said...

Glad you had fun. Great pictures! Love you!

***LIZ*** said...

That is my kind of vacation. I love to go on vacation and just relax.

THE BANGARTS said...

Ahh, La Posada, land of the annual love fest!!! Glad you had a good time. You deserve it!

Missy said...

Happy Anniversary! Glad you had a fun getaway. That hotel looks awesome, I love the old fashioned charm to it.