Monday, July 13, 2009

I Forgot Father's Day

Elliot and I both read the book "The Five Love Languages" and realized that neither of our love languages was GIFTS. This is a relief because I'm not very thoughtful when it comes to giving gifts and I'm surely not a very good gift-receiver (awkward . . . refer to the wedding gift story of 1999). So Elliot proclaimed that we'd never have to give each other gifts again!

But may I just say that I will be perfectly content not ever opening another gift again because what could possibly be better than the 2 little gifts I get to hang out with every day? I love Elliot and Stella so much.

I was out running an errand the other day for a very short time and when I came home (I wish I had a picture of it), Stella and Elliot were sitting at the kitchen table playing the "Gone Fishing" game and Elliot had a pink barrett in his hair. My heart was about to burst just knowing how much he loves our little girl and what a fantastic daddy he is! The barrett threw me over the edge.

3 comments:

Steve and Steph said...

geez-I think I would have cried if I saw a pink barett in Steve's hair...that is SO darling. We miss you guys so much.

Laurie said...

Awh, man... that is a great story.

So, neither of you are gifts? I'm so intrigued. About half of my family is gifts - if not as a primary, as a secondary (myself among them). What were you? And don't tell me service, because I don't know if we can even still be friends if you're service. Service is SO not on my radar, I don't know how to be nice to people. I get super awkward when I'm in a service situation. Isn't that funny? So... what were you?

Whitney said...

I am 100% Physical Touch and Elliot was Words of Affirmation with Acts of Service as a close second. I thought Gifts would be higher on Elliot's list because he gets so giddy when gift time comes around. But perhaps I've damaged that part of him over the last 10 years because I'm a crappy gift-giver/receiver. So don't mind me making out with my husband in public . . . just filling my tank!