Tuesday, June 07, 2011

ELLIOT'S SURGERY PICTURES!!

Reach for the

BARF BUCKET

if you get grossed out by
OPEN FLESH and a mess of
TENDON and EXPOSED MUSCLE.

GO . . . get it now before you scroll down!

Here we go then . . . in Elliot's words . . .

1 - This is what the injury looked like. My injury was a complete rupture, but, as the picture suggests, there were a few strands remaining after the injury - just nothing that would allow me to move my foot up and down.

2 - The doctor severed the tendon in order to detach the remaining strands to initiate the repair. At least, I think that is what is going on in these first two pictures. I could be wrong.

3 - This is the initial part of the repair - the tendon is reattached to the calf muscle by braiding the available strands together. The doctor did tell me that he had trimmed some of the strands in order to give him something to work with.

4 - This is the complete repair. The initial repair was wrapped in human heart tissue (from a cadaver) to protect the repair, strengthen the attachment to the calf, and to lubricate the tendon in the future.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting but disgusting. guess I'll stay away from the raw meat department at the grocery store for awhile.

Shellee said...

Those are some great pictures! My only hesitation at looking at them was that it was a friend's foot! I will not be showing these to Curtis, however.

Adam Dibble said...

I have nerves of steel, but perhaps a link to the pics might be more appropriate - these are pretty graphic!

Whitney said...

I gave a warning. Just don't let Xan look.

The Robinsons said...

Derrick LOVES these pictures. Esp. since he is working daily on his cadaver at school. Hope he is feeling better :)

Pianamama said...

Umm, NASTY!! Fun to catch up on your posts. Looking forward to the new addition in a few months!

The Earls said...

That's awesome! My question is, who took the pictures?

Carebear said...

I guess my screen is too big ;) The warning didn't give me enough time - I was already viewing the entrails... Blech!! Very interesting, though!

Alecia said...

That is SOOOOOOOO COOL!!!!!!! :) It is so weird to think of the human body and all its functions and parts from blood cells to tissues and muscles and organs! I think it is very intriguing! Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Annie said...

WOW you weren't kidding on graphic. I found it fascinating though! Your tendon was pretty messed up! Amazing the repairs they can do now!