Friday, June 10, 2011

South Carlsbad Beach Camping - Day 2

Adam and Xan let us borrow their cots for this camping trip. We usually just sleep on the ground with some quilts for cushioning, but we thought cots might be a little more comfortable for my pregnant body. The first night was comfortable enough and the next days got progressively more uncomfortable. Why is it that naptime in tents is more comfortable than actual bedtime?

I woke up to a plea on Elliot's part to just try the breakfast that Joe & Lynnae were making. This made me a little nervous, but since I'm a grown up girl now, I usually try everything (unless it's fish related). Joe made some apple cinnamon pancakes with sour cream topping and apple syrup. Elliot thought the sour cream was going to throw me off and run away screaming, which it probably would have if I was not a grown up girl like I have just mentioned. It was delicious! The apple syrup made the sour cream taste like cream cheese and I even ate 2 pancakes (I'm not usually a pancake fan). It really was delicious and I was looking forward to their dinner that night too.

The mornings were SOOOOO clear this year that the kids were begging to get down the the beach before breakfast was even over. Last year it was so overcast that we waited most of the morning and then had to force ourselves to go down before lunchtime. Stella always makes it down to the beach before I get a chance to lather her up with sun screen, but we did really well this year. I never get her face very well, but the only sun she got was just under her eyes. My toes and cleavage got burned. Elliot was practically in his snow suit and under the canopy all day, so he didn't get any sun.

Sandy sunscreen application

Tyler

Garrett & Clark (pretty much all of the kids would eventually fight over who was Garrett's best friend . . . Stella thinks she won because they're related)

Macy and Reagan would splash around in this little raft. Reagan continued to elude my camera. I guess I'm not as stealthy as my large waddling shadow approaches.

Stella

It was freezing. I don't know how kids don't care how cold the water is. Also, they started a "Save the Sea Weed" cause.



Emma, Sarah, Stella

Lorraine & Travis

We pretty much just sat here and ate snacks every 10 minutes.

Lynnae & Joe



Aunt Beth

We were never far from the snack box.

Frankie had the best sand goatee's on the beach days (this picture was pre-goatee). If it had sand on it, he'd eat it.

More sitting, less sand.

I said I was excited for the concoction Joe and Lynnae were brewing for dinner and I was right to be. It smelled so good for over an hour that I nearly couldn't stand it! Dutch oven chicken pot pie. They continue to outdo themselves. So delicious!

If we couldn't find one of the kids, they were in a tree.

It was such a relaxing day, yet exhausting at the same time. I was really hoping for a great night sleep because we had a big day planned the next day!

(Elliot's coworker Curtis graciously let us borrow his camera for our vacation. Thank you Curtis!)

No comments: