Friday, February 03, 2012

1999 - Arizona or Bust

(originally posted 02/15/2009)

Disclaimer: These "10 Years Ago" stories might be long. Hence my "be prepared" warning. I'm still looking for pictures from 1999, but we're already approaching the good stuff, so we're going to clip right along through January.

AUGUST-DECEMBER 1998: The Background Info

I graduated from Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho in August of 1998. I moved to Kimberly, Idaho to live with my sister Marci and her family (Bill, Kayla(8), Karl (5), and Alecia (3)). I ADORED THEM! But that's another story.

(this is an old picture . . . probably late 1996)

In November 1998, I got an email from my sister Natalie that went a little something like this, "Hey Whit, Arizona looks like a fun place to live. Do you want to go with me? Love, Nat."

I'm not entirely certain, but I believe I responded immediately with a "YES!" Did I just do that? Was I really going to move to a place that I'd NEVER been?

Natalie came to Kimberly for New Years 1999. I got the snow tires taken off of my car that I had just put on and we packed my little Chevy Corsica and Natalie's Isuzu Rodeo full of our stuff (including an obnoxious western mattress that I had been sleeping on since I was 4).

The night before we left, the kids were in the bathroom brushing their teeth. My sweet little 3-year-old Alecia came running out crying and trying to tell us something through the sobs and finally gets out, "Karl pushed me off the stool and now I'm never going to brush my teeth again!" Remember that one.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

You are brave...moving to a place you have never been!
I totally remember when you moved to AZ...luckily it was not in the summer or you might not have lasted :)

Laurie said...

Ooh, I'm so excited for the "10 years gone" saga, I can hardly stand it! I love it!

I also the pic of you with the kids on your bag... super cute! :-)