(originally posted 04/13/2009)
January 17 - Natalie found some East Valley maps and made me study the names of the streets and the order they go in. We were not getting lost again. We found the Lakeshore building fairly easily and made it to church on time. Nothing to report from church, but we were invited to the Bishop's house that night for "Meet the Members" for new members of the ward. We got good directions.
Natalie and I arrived at Bishop Dibble's home early because we left ourselves plenty of time to get lost. When we entered their beautiful home, there were chairs set up all over the front room. Natalie sat down and as I was about to sit next to her she informed me that I wasn't allowed to sit by her. She's such a mother! I was still super shy and totally nervous. So I pouted and found another chair across the room. Just as I sat down, Sister Dibble came out of her room and I LOVED HER IMMEDIATELY! She asked why I was sitting by myself and I told on Natalie. Take that Nat!
More members showed up and eventually the room was fairly full. I don't know how new all the "new" members were, but I was glad that Natalie and I weren't the only newbies. Elliot was there, though I don't remember him coming through the front door. During the opening prayer, the phone started ringing and I opened my eyes long enough to see Elliot pick it up and hang it up immediately. I thought it was awfully presumptuous of him to do that at someone else's home.
I'm sure that Bishop Dibble shared a little message and then separated us into groups of 4-5 for the game. We were doing skits. I hate skits. I either make an absolute fool of myself or act totally different than I usually am and then I seem fake when people find out that I'm actually shy. We were all given a scripture story. We also had to think of a New Year's Resolution and somehow apply the scripture story to it through the skit.
My group had a few people, but I only remember Kyle Jones and another girl named Jaime. Kyle and I paired up to take the story of the sons of Mosiah that were put into prison. We tried really hard to discuss our plan of action for the skit, but we got nowhere. We'd have to do this impromptu. My resolution was to stop being so shy and learn how to talk to people and Kyle's resolution was to stop biting her fingernails. It was our turn and I wanted to throw up and/or pee my pants. I hate skits.
Kyle and I held our imaginary prison bars. I got stage freight and couldn't think of anything to say. Much to my relief, Kyle started talking about how long we'd been in jail and how boring it was because I never talked and how I better start talking before she went insane. I wanted our turn to be over, so I quickly said, "Well, now that I've learned how to talk, I'd like to mention how you biting your fingernails for this whole time we've been in jail has been disgusting. You should stop." The End. We got a few laughs.
I was jealous that Natalie got to be in Elliot's group. Why did I have a crush on him? He keeps calling me Wendy! I believe they got the scripture story of King Benjamin. I quickly learned that Elliot likes to talk because it took him a while to get to the point of his babbling which was his resolution to learn everyone's name in the ward. He was funny and adorable. I wish he'd stop calling me Wendy.
Bishop Dibble started dishing the Rootbeer Floats in the kitchen as Elliot started taking them to everyone in the other room. My heart fluttered when Elliot asked me, calling me by my actual name, if I was interested in the rootbeer float. Instead of breaking down and just eating one, I had to be difficult. I asked for them to be separate. I'm a fan of rootbeer and ice cream, just not together. I followed Elliot into the kitchen to make sure he understood me (he had a history of not hearing clearly). Bishop Dibble knew right away that I'd be a difficult one. His response to my request made me feel like a moron! I also finally figured out that Elliot was Bishop Dibble's son. Not so presumptuous anymore. Still just very, very cute.
7 comments:
Wahoo! It's the return of the "10 Years Ago" posts. I LOVE THIS STORY, keep it coming!
Seriously, this has to be a book! Maybe it could have a little, "her perspective/his perspective angle.
Man, I'm a dork.
I love your story though.
UMMM, first of all the blog shout out totally made my day even though I totally don't remember this skit and I am going to ignore the fact that even though you were in my awesome group (which is obviously life changing) you were jealous of Natalies group!
Love the story!
This story has already become WAY TOO lovey-dovey for me and it's ONLY JANUARY!!! I ask that my name kindly be removed from the story!
And...I do not remember me and Elliot being together in a group...but I do remember asking you to not sit by me. It was for the greater good!
AND...thank you for memorizing the street names so quickly. I should have up'ed your pay as co-pilot.
I'll tell you what. I remember that night as if it were a month ago!!! I remember you sitting on the chair way at the end of the room. I remember the root beer floats. Elliot still answers the phone that way and he doesn't even live at home! I loved you immediately, too. Thanks. The Bish's wife
Yay for 10 years ago story! I love it! I agree--it should be a book. I would buy it! The other question that begs to be asked, is Nat a good pilot? A pilot is only as good as her co-pilot!
Love these blogs!
Post a Comment